General Health Benefits of Swimming
Seawater is used by many people the world over to aid in health and well-being.
Swimming in warm seawater is thought to stimulate the body’s healing mechanisms to fight conditions such as asthma, arthritis, bronchitis and inflammatory diseases, as well as common aches and pains.
Seawater is rich in minerals such as Magnesium, which has a relaxing effect on your muscles, reduces stress and helps induce sleep. Magnesium also depresses nerves to relieve nervous irritability for an increased sense of calmness, according to wellness pioneer and author J.I. Rondale.
Here's why we advocate spending more time in the water is a seriously smart choice, especially the sea:
- Swimming helps to manage weight.
- Swimming reduces stress levels and raises self-esteem.
- Swimming boosts your mood
- Swimming strengthens muscles
- Swimming is low-impact exercise
- Swimming improves your sleep
Plus sea swimming also has many other unusual benefits including:
- Being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
- Improving coordination, balance and posture especially core muscles
- Improving flexibility
- Providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions especially osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and knee/hip issues
- Providing a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day... rare in Wales but it does happen!
- Being available in many beautiful places
- An appreciation of the environment
- Can assist with anxiety/depression
Simply being in a natural environment is often a therapeutic health benefit in its own right.
Here in Pembrokeshire you can swim at the many outstanding beaches, lakes, reservoirs and rivers with Barafundle bay being one of the best in the UK and even Europe!
We offer safe and organised sea swimming tours in Pembrokeshire, with qualified guides.
Contact us here for more information and come and find out for yourself about the health benefits of sea swimming.